01 January 2012

Day 3 (Friday, 30DEC11) - We're Alive

The Wild Adventures of Roaming Hamsters...

Distance:  38.8 miles (Paso Robles to San Simeon)
Travel Time: 1 hour
Weather:  Heavy Fog
Road Conditions:  Slightly Winding

I know I told everyone that I was going to post everyday, but yesterday we went to Hearst Castle and then camped so we didn't have any internet service until this evening.

So, yesterday we went to Hearst Castle.  It was about an hour away and I was shocked to see how many people were there.  There was a huge Visitor's Center and you have to take a bus up to the house.  I always thought that the house was built on the ocean...as in the house was built on a cliff and down the cliff is the ocean.  Well.....the house it actually quite a ways from the ocean, built on a hill where you have a view of the ocean.  I won't lie, I was a little disappointed.



The house was crazy.  The gardens were beautiful and the pools were both a little over the top although swimming in them would be cool. (Pun intended).

Ready to jump in!

We're thinking of adding this indoor pool to our must-have list...gold tiles and all.  The yellow is real gold. 


Anyway,  we took the Upstairs Suites tour which was most of the upstairs, with libraries and guest rooms and personal rooms.  The whole place is extravagant to say the least and gaudy was the only word I could think of going through the house.

It also seemed a bit sad to me.  I didn't get the whole story of his life but it seemed sad.  He was married and then separated had 5 sons that all lived back east and lived the most of his life with his mistress and a gigantic house with lots of Catholic art that took 30 years to build.  He eventually lost most of his money later in his life and it seems there wasn't much sense of family or friends.  Perhaps he did, but by the way the tour guide talked and the melancholy mood of the house it just seemed more sad then cool.

After the tour, we decided to camp and were lucky enough to get a spot at the San Simeon State Park just a few miles away.  That's where we were the rest of the night.  With no internet.

Here are pics of Hearst Castle...enjoy

Gaudy or Chic?  For the guest to decide.

I wouldn't' mind having this library in my house.

But I wouldn't really want 2 libraries.....

There was cool vintage stuff. 

Lounging pajamas for the discerning guest.

Proof that I was there.  (P.S. Christian René was there, too.)



1 comment:

Peter Ballantine said...

It would be fantastic to be back in the day when that was in full swing and just hang out and enjoy the company and that amazing pool. What a beauty. Just think of the people that have sat around that pool and had a cocktail or two.

Post a Comment