21 January 2012

Day 1 Into Mexico (Travel day FRI, 20JAN12) - Nightmare At The Border

The Wild Adventures of Roaming Hamsters...


Wow!  Where do I begin???  Do I start with the roads?  Do I start with the gigantic speed bumps?? Do I start with the cool guy we met at the border???  Do I start with the border??  The food?  The “towns”??  The tiredness??  The angel who eased our anxiety about the border?? There is a lot to write.

To begin with I would like to describe the moment I knew we were no longer in Kansas.  It actually took me by surprise.  We had crossed what I assumed was the US border since it was an obstacle course.   I mean literally, it was an obstacle course.  The one narrow lane twisted and turned with gigantic concrete barriers, not to be incomplete with large speed bumps and what looked, to me, to be upside-down metal mixing bowls that you had to cautiously make your way over.  In a car this wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but on a motorcycle…it’s not so easy.  Oh, and lets not forget armed guards. Just standing there.

So we get through this obstacle course and the guards just nod us through and we thought “Wow.  That was easy.”  But no, there was still more to come.  We are funneled onto this 2 lane highway that is straight.  I kept seeing signs that say 13 Kilometers.  I had no idea what they meant, but I guessed it had to do with another check point of some sort.  We obeyed the speed limit and were being passed by semi’s. 

As I think back on today I am completely overwhelmed that I am having a hard time concentrating and writing all of this down.

13 kilometers later we come to another check point with a sign that says “Tourist Permits” that were mandatory for US citizens.  We pull up and what did we see?  Well, I’ll tell you.  We saw another motorcycle loaded down with gear so I knew immediately that it was a fellow motorcycle traveler.  I say traveler and not fellow rider, because he was obviously traveling and planning on staying in the country for a while and not just riding his bike to his friend’s house. 

Speaking of friends…we made 2 new friends today.  The first I will simply refer to her as our border-crossing-anxiety-shattering-confidence-building-fellow American.  We were loading up to take off and had our helmets on when she walked out of the hotel in Tucson, Arizona and asked us a question.  I don’t remember the exact question but she initiated the conversation and we chatted for about 10 minutes.  We found out she lived with her husband in Mexico and she couldn’t stop saying how much she loved Mexico and the people and the town she lived in.  We asked her about the border, what it was like, how the roads were, safety, etc.  She was an absolute angel in every sense of the word.

She has a farm in Northern California, and lives in Mexico.  She is an older woman, and she told us that she used to ride motocross.  In fact, she was one of the first females to ever compete in the Baja 1000.  Anyhow, I digress.  She told us that she travels the road from Tucson, past Hermosillo, to her home on the coast, regularly.  She said that she has no problem traveling it by herself, and feels quite safe.  This tid-bit of information was precisely what we needed to hear.  We had so many preconceived notions built up in our minds that we were anxious about the day’s journey.  But, following our conversation with her, we traveled with peace of mind.

Now, let’s be clear—there is a considerable difference between peace of mind from a safety standpoint, and the inexplicable chaos that is inherent at the US-Mexico border crossing.  There is nothing sane, nor efficient, about the procedures for entering this country.

After standing in one line to be issued piece of paper, we then had to go to another line to purchase our visitor’s permits and vehicle permits.  Now, this is where things get crazy (imagine an “org” chart that looks like a pile of spaghetti and you might begin to visualize the ridiculousness). 

First, “oh by the way”…

After spending an hour waiting in line to get our permits, we found out we had to have both original copies of our vehicle registration, as well as photocopies of ALL of our documents.  But, that’s in another line!  (Luckily there were two of us, and one could go and get the copies while the other held our place in line!)  But, for the privilege of  getting these photocopies, you have to pay MEX$40

Next, the vehicle permit…

Each vehicle requires a deposit, price based on the year of vehicle.  For both bikes, the deposit came to US$600.  (That took us down a few notches.)  But, don’t worry, we get it back when we leave.  Oh, but wait…they return it to us in Pesos, so we get stuck with paying the exchange rate.

Third, the visitor’s permit…

Now, this is pretty easy.  You pay MEX$588 per person.  But, that’s too easy.  You see, both motorcycles are in my name.  But, LaNova is driving one.  Now, her visitor’s permit has to match the name on the registration.  Why?  Really?  Why drag logic into this!?  What you need to walk away with here is the understanding that this predicament demands that you go to ANOTHER line where you can prove marital ties to the owner of the vehicle.

Next, the marriage certificate…

It was by pure happenstance that we had scanned a copy of our marriage license.  That was NOT something that we had been prepared for by any website.  (Note to any future travelers to Mexico who would be driving a vehicle not owned under their name…)  But, the problem here is, we didn’t have a hardcopy.  So, LaNova was able to sweet-talk her way into the good graces of the attendant, who let us copy the marriage license over to the attendant’s thumb-drive, who then made a physical copy.

Step Go-Back-To-Beginning…

After proving marital status, LaNova returned to the line where she was able to finalize her visitor’s permit.  (Not without plenty of scrutiny by the officials.)  Oh, and did I mention that there was only one attendant for the entire line?  It averaged 15 minutes per person…we were #6 and #7.

Final step…

Once the proper permits were requisitioned from the land of the lost, we then returned to the first office where we were finally given the almighty stamp of approval.  Phew!!!

During this entire process, we had the fantastic support of our fellow rider.  Although he had finished processing before us, he stuck around to make sure we made it through.  He waited so long, however, that we all decided to ride to Magdelena de Kino.

Because the border took over 2 hours, we missed our window to go to Hermosillo—our destination with a nice house and beds waiting for us.  So, the three of us road to Magdelena.

It’s a quaint town.  It stands right on the way to Santa Ana, and has a well traveled thoroughfare.  But, navigating the town in search of a place to stay took some doing.  We rode over some slick cobblestones and pavement of every texture, there were speed bumps from hell, and pedestrians and semi’s and…well…you get the point. 

Finally, we found a hotel.  For a mere MEX$400, we found a sanctuary.  The clerk let us park our bikes on the grass right in front of our rooms, and we were none-too-happy.

Overall, it was a successful day.  But, notice I chose the word ‘successful’ rather than ‘good’.  We were successful because we arrived safe.  All of our prayers were answered, we didn’t push ourselves, and we made solid contacts.  But, I must say that it was a very taxing day.  There was so much anxiety, stress, and delay that by the time we got to our room, we were done.  We still love each other, we are still happy, and we are still glad to be embarking on this journey.  But, we’re also very glad to be done for the day!
***
Magdelena de Kino is a very old town.  There is a church, with a gorgeous plaza, that is dated 1711.  Located in the plaza is an enclosed structure that entombs an excavated skeleton, with placards and photos narrating the plaza’s long history.  Vendors dot the perimeter of the plaza, and a gorgeous (yet empty) fountain adorns the center.

Happy we're at the border.

Annoyed that the guy at the counter cut in front of us!


3 bikes because we met a fellow traveler.


Look at that smile...the food was soo good.


Magdalena, Sonora, Mexico town square...free wi-fi.

Magdalena, Sonora, Mexico town square built in 1711.

Riding on slippery cobblestone is hard!  

1 comment:

Peter Ballantine said...

Glad you made it safely and were able to relax.

Post a Comment